Contact Us Today (407) 294-9959

Frequently Asked Questions - Quiet Enjoyment

On this page, we have compiled a list of common questions asked by tenants involved in Quiet Enjoyment disputes with their landlords. For a complete list of statutes visit the Florida Residential Landlord Tenant Act.

What rights do I have as a tenant regarding my right to quiet enjoyment?

As a tenant in Florida, you have the right to quiet enjoyment, which means you can peacefully occupy your rental property without unreasonable disturbances. Your landlord must provide reasonable notice before entering your unit, address necessary repairs promptly, and handle nuisances or disturbances that significantly interfere with your quiet enjoyment. Florida law also protects you from retaliation if you exercise your rights. Review your lease agreement for specific provisions related to quiet enjoyment. If issues persist, communicate with your landlord and, if needed, seek legal advice or assistance from a tenant advocacy organization.

Can a landlord come into my apartment whenever they want?

Generally speaking, no. A landlord has a right to enter rental units in the case of an emergency or to make repairs. Usually, in the case of repairs, they are required to ask permission and/or to provide advance notice before entering. State law often governs the requirements of this notice.

Can I take legal action if my right to quiet enjoyment is continuously violated?

If your right to quiet enjoyment is continuously violated and your landlord doesn't address the issue despite your attempts to communicate and resolve it, you may have grounds to take legal action. However, it's important to note that in Florida, before filing a court action, you are generally required to make pre-litigation attempts to resolve the dispute. These pre-litigation steps might include sending a demand letter or participating in mediation. It's advisable to consult with a lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant law to understand the specific pre-litigation requirements and the best course of action for your situation.

Can I terminate my lease if my right to quiet enjoyment is consistently disrupted?

In Florida, if your right to quiet enjoyment is consistently disrupted and your landlord fails to address the issue, you may have grounds to terminate your lease. However, it is important to consult with a lawyer or review your lease agreement to understand the specific terms and conditions that govern lease termination in such situations. The process for terminating a lease can vary depending on the circumstances and the language in your lease agreement. Seeking legal advice will help you understand your rights and obligations as a tenant and guide you through the proper steps to terminate the lease if necessary.

Can the landlord be held responsible for the actions of other tenants that interfere with my quiet enjoyment?

It depends. If the landlord has no notice of the other tenants' actions and no reason to know about them, the landlord may not be held responsible. However, once the landlord is notified or becomes aware of the disruptive actions, they have a duty to take reasonable action to ensure your right to quiet enjoyment is protected.

What remedies or compensation can I seek if my right to quiet enjoyment is violated?

You have the right to request compensation for the lack of quiet enjoyment. However, whether you are entitled to such compensation under the law depends on various factors. While we commonly argue that tenants are entitled to consequential damages under common law, it's important to note that some courts may limit compensation to a partial rent refund as outlined in Fla. Stat. s. 83.56(1). We believe and argue that tenants are entitled to both forms of compensation. To understand the specific rights and remedies available in your situation, it is recommended to consult with legal professionals who can provide guidance based on the details of your case.

Can I be evicted for asserting my rights to quiet enjoyment?

Yes, Florida law, specifically Fla. Stat. s. 83.64, provides protection against retaliation by landlords when tenants exercise their rights. Retaliation could include actions like rent increases, lease termination, or reduction of services. It's advisable to review your lease agreement for any specific provisions related to quiet enjoyment and other tenant rights. If any conflicts arise between the lease provisions and Florida law, the law takes precedence.

Can I document instances of noise or disturbance to provide evidence for potential legal action?

Yes, documenting and keeping records of all quiet enjoyment disturbances is essential. Even if you submit complaints or requests through the landlord's portal, it's important to maintain copies of those records. In some instances, landlords may revoke a tenant's access to the portal during a dispute. Therefore, it is advisable to print or save electronic copies of each communication made through the portal. These records serve as evidence of your attempts to address quiet enjoyment issues and can be valuable documentation in case of a dispute. By maintaining thorough records, you can protect your rights and provide necessary evidence to support your case.

Contact Us Today

Still have questions?  Contact The Law Offices of Debi V. Rumph online or by calling (407) 294-9959 to discuss your circumstances and see how we can assist you.